Monday, March 19, 2012

MacRae's Surgery

Our poor little boy has had 5 ear infections this last year, so we were referred to a Pediatric ENT to get them checked out.  They found that his adnoids were enlarged and that the tube that drains the ear was too small, so pressure was building up behind it causing the infections.  So surgery was our only option to correct it.
We didn't tell him about the surgey until 5 am when we woke him up to go.  He was fine with it, and we told him he got a present when he was done.  He was seriuosly so brave.  He did every thing the nurse asked him to do, and gave him some meds to calm him down. We then walked him down to surgey.  It was the longest 30 minutes of my life.  I was so worried about him being sedated and not being able to be there with him.
He had to wake up and be in recovery for a minute before they brought him back to us.  The second I heard him crying for me, I lost it and went to find him.  He came out of the sedation pretty fast, but was just crying and wanting his IV out.  He then just wanted us to hold him.  Once he could keep something down, they let us take him home.  He threw up a couple times after we got home, but was fine about an hour later.  I thought that he would be down for a few days, but he was up and playing within a few hours of being home.  It is amazing how fast kids bounce back.  For sure this was harder on me then him.  It is so hard to see your child suffering and not be able to do anything for him.  I am hoping this will be our last time at the hospital for a long time.

No comments: